What Needs to Die in a Fire in Cataclysm?
I’m sure everyone has found things about the game that they find annoying, or they are sure Blizzard could make better. Here are a few things that just popped into my head:
- Hike all over the known universe for a couple hundred xp style quests.
- The need to talk to four different emblem vendors to get epic gems. Kudos to Blizzard for realizing that we only need two levels of emblems/rewards/points/whatever for an expansion.
- The lack of an auction house in Dalaran.
But I wanted to talk today about the some of the things that I find frustrating about playing my beloved disc priest.
- Of all the healing classes, discipline priests are the only spec that doesn’t play well with one of their own kind. Two paladins, trees, shamans, holy priests – anyone else – can blissfully heal away in a 25 man with another of their class present, even on the same assignment…but it’s is often utterly obnoxious to heal with another disc priest in the raid (unless we are talking about bubble spam a la Lich King). Why? A couple of our best tools don’t stack. Power Word: Shield can only be cast once on a target every fifteen seconds. Prayer of Mending is another major spell in our arsenal. While this one is less limiting because it can only be cast on one target at a time…it also doesn’t stack with another priest’s Prayer of Mending. So if another priest overwrites mine just after I cast it, mine disappears, he gets the heal, and I wait ten seconds before I can recast it. (Admittedly this one is true of holy priests as well, and is more of an annoyance than an real issue with good healers.)
- There are like three whole points in the spec that aren’t basically mandatory for raiding. And I can’t figure out what to do with them really. My options are of the “I guess that’d be okay” “might be situationally useful” and “why would I want that?” variety. Blizzard, give us a little something in our tree that might actually require a decision, or cause some spec variation among us disc priests even if it is just silly and fun. Now that Blizzard has released the tentative priest talent tree – I think Blizzard needs to hear this more than ever. Sigh. I’ll talk more about this later but I’m not so pleased with a number of the changes.
- Add absorbs to the combat log. Really. Discipline is at a huge disadvantage on healing meters because two of the best abilities we have don’t show up at all – Power Word: Shield and Divine Aegis. This causes a lot us to be under-appreciated by the uninformed.
- Scale Power Word: Shield with something in addition to spell power. I know in Cataclysm bubble spam is not going to be common, but it’s distressing to gear for a fight like Lich King where no matter what I do, half the stats on my gear are totally useless. While you’re at it, please provide a broader range of gearing options, put well itemized stats for both disc and holy on our tier gear, and give us a tier bonus that is both fun to use and kicks ass.
- Allow Grace to stack on at least two targets. With almost all 25 man encounters (and many 10 mans for that matter) requiring two or even three tanks, it is beyond annoying that one of our best talents for tank healing doesn’t help us as much at all. I understand health pools will be larger in Cataclysm and there will actually be damage to catch up from on players instead of constantly topping people up to full…but still.